Wellbeing and Support

Life at University is about so much more than academics. University is an opportunity for you to spread your wings, broaden your horizons, get involved, and learn more about yourself and others.

For you to succeed in University and enjoy your time here, it is so important to keep yourself fit, healthy and well both in your mind and body. There are lots of things you can do to boost your health and wellbeing. Joining a society will give you an opportunity to pursue your interests and meet new people. Getting involved with a sports club or joining a gym will keep you fit & healthy.

Life as a student can be challenging and rewarding, but challenges can get in the way

It can be difficult to ask for help, but many students find that talking through issues that are bothering them can be a really good way to start finding a solution.

The Students’ Union’s free, confidential Advice Service (Available on every website through our RRW Team) is here to talk to you about any issue or problem you are facing, from an allegation of Academic Misconduct, to loneliness or a housing issue. If you need to you can get in touch with an Advisor at your campus.

The University Student Advice service gives specialist advice and support on a range of issues including immigration & visas, Council Tax, money management, student finance and specialist support for care leavers.

Counselling can be a really good way to talk through any issues that are bothering you. You can find out more about the University’s Counselling Service, including how to make an appointment.

There are also other places you can turn for help. Counselling and talking therapies are available through a number of charitable organisations as well as through NHS services. Find out more about how counselling works and how to access it on the NHS Choices website.

If you just want to talk to someone informally, you can talk to the Samaritans on the phone, by e-mail or face-to-face.


National Health Service services are free of charge, including GP visits. Whether you are a UK, EU or International student, it is important to ensure that you are registered with a GP in your area. This is true even if you have health insurance, or a European Health Insurance Card.

Register with a GP as soon as possible – If you wait until you’re feeling sick, you will have to make an appointment to register and then another one to actually see a doctor. You can register with a GP practice of your choice, as long as you live within its catchment area and it is accepting new patients.

To find a GP Practice in your area, visit the NHS Choices website.

The University of Westminster has a nurse-run health service which operates out of Marylebone and Harrow Campuses.

This service provides:

            • appointments with doctors and nurses
            • urgent treatment
            • health and lifestyle guidance.
            • vaccine and travel health
            • contraceptive advice (and free condoms)
            • dental advice
            • sexual health

Find out more about this service and how to make an appointment here.

Mental Health

It’s always important to look after your mental health as much as your physical health.

Here at UWSU, we take the subject of your mental well-being incredibly seriously and treat every case with the utmost dilligence. Our Advice Team is committed to ensuring that you get access to the help that you need right on your campus, and are always there to talk to you. .

Check out the ’Talking to Someone’ tab and our Disability Learning Support page for more information.

Sexual Health

Sexual health is an important aspect of your health that you should look after. You can access sexual health services at the University’s health service, or in many free, confidential sexual health clinics run by NHS Trusts. Find a clinic near you on the NHS Choices website.

You can also collect some free condoms from your SU office.

Juggling your study with parenting, caring or a pregnancy can be challenging, yet hopefully rewarding.

If you are struggling with your responsibilities and need help, always let the University or the Students’ Union know as soon as you can, so we can point you in the direction of good sources of help.

For student parents or those about to become a parent, the University’s website has some good information on financial entitlements.

If you are a carer providing unpaid support to family or friends who could not manage without this help, you may find some useful help and information here.

If your circumstances change and you are finding it difficult to manage your studies as a result, you may be able to use the Mitigating Circumstances process to defer some of your modules. 

All of the University’s campuses offer places of prayer and worship to accommodate students of every faith. 

Here at UWSU, we understand the importance of our students commitment to their faith in accordance with their studies and will support their needs wholeheartedly.

Please visit the Univeristy’s page on the available prayer rooms and faith facilities available on each campus here.

If you wish to get more involved in your faith at university, head over to our Societies pages and check out our range of Faith and Spirituality societies and how you can join them.